The Counter-terrorism Policy Centre analysts frequently speak on Terrorism and Counter-terrorism related issues.
- Independent Intelligence Review
- New Home Affairs Ministerial Portfolio
- ABC The World Today with Eleanor Hall https://t.co/fu5XYbfX8y
- ABC Adelaide Drive with Jules Schiller, (1 hour in) http://www.abc.net.au/radio/adelaide/programs/drive/drive/8699946
- ABC TV Lateline http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/content/2016/s4704087.htm
- Changes to Defence support to CT
- ABC News Radio Ali Crew http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/newsradio/audio/201707/r1722922_26884398.mp3
- ABC Radio national ‘Roundtable’ with Tom Switzer, discussing encrypted communications http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/sunday-roundtable/8594400
- ABC Radio National ‘Roundtable’ with Tom Switzer, discussing terrorist attacks http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sundayextra/sunday-roundtable/8564614
- ABC Radio National ‘Counterpoint’ with Amanda Vanstone, discussing the CT Year Book 2017 http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/counterpoint/counter-terrorism:-are-we-getting-it-right/8601378
- ABC The World Today on Mosul mosque destruction http://www.abc.net.au/worldtoday/content/2016/s4689945.htm
Lindt Cafe Siege: NSW Coroner report
- 28/05/2017 - Lessons from Manchester attack and Lindt cafe. Radio National. Switzer and Carroll.
- 24/05/2017 - NSW Coroner hands down his report into the Lindt cafe siege. Radio 2GB. Carroll.
Manchester May 17
- 23/05/2017 - Reactions to Manchester attack. ABC News 24. Carroll.
- 23/05/2017 - Reactions to Manchester attack. Sky News. Carroll
INSLM Statutory Deadline Review (May 2017)
Jacinta Carroll, Head of ASPI’s Counter-Terrorism Policy Centre, was invited by Dr James Renwick SC, the Independent National Security Legislation Monitor (INSLM), to make a submission to his Statutory Deadline Review into certain elements of Australia’s counter-terrorism legislation. The review is considering:
- Division 3A of Part IAA of the Crimes Act 1914 (Cth) introduced by the Anti-Terrorism Act (No 2) 2005 on stop, search and seizure powers;
- Sections 119.2 and 119.3 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth) introduced by the Counter-Terrorism Legislation Amendment (Foreign Fighters) Act 2014 (Cth) which clarified declared areas; and
- Divisions 104 and 105 of the Criminal Code 1995 (Cth) on control orders and preventative detention orders introduced by the Anti-Terrorism Act (No 2) 2005, including the interoperability of the control order regime with the Criminal Code Amendment (High Risk Terrorist Offenders) Act 2016 (Cth).
Ms Carroll’s submission to the INSLM provides advice on the terrorist threat environment in Australia and how this legislation works as part of Australia’s overall approach to counter-terrorism, with a particular focus on the importance of these laws in preventing terrorism. The submission notes that the laws under review are part of a broad suite of legislation that has been developed to provide appropriate powers to prevent and deal with terrorist-related crime. They have been developed and revised at different times to deal with the changing nature of the threat and, overall, serve Australia’s counter-terrorism efforts well.
- 12/05/2017 - Funding boost for CT in Federal Budget. SBS News.
- 27/04/2017 - 420 Australians on Turkey’s no entry list. SBS News. Carroll.
- 18/04/2017 - Concern iconic Sydney street is terror weak spot. News.com.au
- 10/04/2017 - IS magazine published online calls for sympathisers to rob unbelievers. Herald Sun.
- 04/04/2017 - You can’t protect everywhere all the time’: what makes a terrorist target. News.com.au
- 28/03/2017 - Sydney train commuters warned to be vigilant. Sky News. Carroll.
- 24/03/2017 - Counter-terrorism efforts around the world. The Morning Show. Carroll.
- 23/03/2017 - Interview with Jacinta Carroll on ABC News24. ABC. Carroll.
- 23/03/2017 - Australia's efforts to detect and prevent terrorism. Yahoo7. Carroll.
- 21/03/2017 - Expert warns over anti-terror law delay. AAP
- 07/03/2017 - A Homeland Security style mega agency for Australia?. ABC The Drum. Carroll.
- Jan 2017 - ISIS recruits divided on ethnic lines. The Point Magazine. Carroll.
- 01/03/2017 - Terrorism related arrests in Young, NSW. ABC News24. Carroll.
- 27/02/2017 - What Trump’s travel ban ignores: Radicalized U.S. citizens pose the greatest threat. Washington Post. Morell & Pape.
- 27/02/2017 - The evidence backing Trump’s travel ban simply isn’t there. Washington Post editorial.
- 15/02/2017 - Australia and Indonesia: Indispensable Partners in Counterterrorism. IAPS Dialogue.
- 12/02/2017 - New report shows the real face of Islamic State terror converts. The New Daily.
- 09/02/2017 - Reassessing US Refugee Suspension. Australian Institute of International Affairs.
- 08/02/2017 - Lessons from History: Asking the Experts. Australian National Security Law. Carroll.
- 30/01/2017 - Senior counter-terrorism officials in Australia hit out at Trump's migration ban. Radio National PM. Carroll.
- 18/01/2017 - Obama’s decision to commute Chelsea Manning’s sentence. ABC 7:30. Carroll.
Melbourne - Xmas Day
- The operation to disrupt the Melbourne, Xmas Day plot. BBC World Service. Carroll
Ankara & Berlin
- 20/12/2016 Bloomberg. The Political Implications of Events in Ankara and Berlin
Middel East conflict: Syrian Government Forces take parts of Aleppo
Arrest of Australian Islamic State Terrorist Neil Prakash
- 25/11/16 Interview with Kirsten Aiken on Twitter: ABC News 24 & Video
- 26/11/16 Interview with Liz Tilley on Sky News (1), Sky News (2), Sky News (3)
- 26/11/16 ABC News Victoria. Prakash extradition
- 28/11/16 ABC Radio News ‘AM Program’ Fears Prakash could radicalise inmates
- 26/11/16 ABC News Online, Karen Percy, Neil Prakash: Extradition of Melbourne-born ISIS recruiter cold ‘take a while’, experts say
- 26/11/16 The Straits Times, interview with Jonathan Pearlman
- 26/11/16 Sky News Govt seeks extradition of IS recruiter
- 26/11/16 AAP “Australia seeks to extradite IS recruiter”
- 26/11/16 AAP and Guardian Neil Prakash: Australia has ‘strong case’ to prosecute ISIS militant
- 27/11/16 SBS News Australian bid to extradite IS recruiter
- 27/11/16 Daily Mail, Rachel Eddy & AAP “Australia’s most wanted terrorist was ‘burned and horribly disfigured’ in Iraq drone strike that prompted reports he was dead…as details of his capture are revealed”
- 28/11/16 SMH/The Age Neil Prakash may have been tracked by social media posts
- 28/11/16 ABC News Online, Michael Edwards, Neil Prakash: Islamic State operative could radicalise inmates if brought back to Australia, experts say
- 28/11/16 Daily Mail, Tanya Li and Rachel Eddie & AAP, Australia's most wanted terrorist and ISIS fighter Neil Prakash will 'radicalise and inspire other inmates' if he is brought home to face trial
- 29/11/16 The Guardian Christopher Knause, Neil Prakash extradition risks creating ‘totem to other Islamic radicals’
Minister Dutton and Lebanese-Muslim Migration
- 26/11/16 ABC Radio National Saturday Extra with Geraldine Doogue 7.30am, Migration Settlement Inquiry
Other recent CTPC output
- Migration, crime and terrorism: correct figures but wrong message. Carroll. 23 Nov 2016
- Launch of Global Terrorism Index 2016. 16 November 2016
- Muslim preacher Thorne denies being terror cell leader (TV: Carroll - 08 Nov. ABC "7:30")
- Battle to reclaim Mosul from IS may have repercussions for years (TV: Carroll - 25 Oct. ABC "The World")
- Submission to PJCIS legislative inquiry. (Print: Carroll - 12 Oct.)
- Domestic terror threats to remain after ISIS defeat. (Audio: Carroll - The Wire. 23 Sept.)
- Families of 9/11 victims to sue the Saudi Arabia Kingdom (MP3 download) (Radio: Carroll - Darwin FM 104.)
- Defence role in domestic counter-terrorism should be clarified (Print: Carroll & Collingburn. 02 Sept.)
- RAAF airmen to be protected from war crimes charges by law changes, PM Turnbull says (Print: Collingburn. 02 Sept.)
- 'Soccer' and selfies: The rise and fall of Australia's jihadi recruitment network (ABC Online - 02 Sept.)
- Rise and fall of Australia’s jihadi recruitment network (TV: Carroll - ABC 7:30. 01 Sept.)
- Self-funding the highest risk for raising terrorist funds (Radio: Carroll - ABC "The World Today" 11 Aug.)
- Australia has to re-think how to protect large gatherings: Malcolm Turnbull (Radio: Carroll - ABC "The World Today" 22 July.)
- Desperate measures: What the Bastille Day attack tells us about IS (Print: Carroll)
- Latest terror attack points to a more sophisticated global threat (Print: Jennings)
- Lessons we can learn in coping with a mass attack (Print: Bergin)
- Nine News: Carroll on Nice. (from 17m)
- ABC Midday News - Bastille Day attacks
- ABC News 24 - Initial reactions to attack on Bastille Day in Nice
- Nine News. Hamdi Al Qudsi conviction
- Australia a target for terror plots going viral
- Strict migration screenings are vital to our security
- Terrorist attacks in Australia need a more agile response, like those in Europe
- Channel 7 Weekend Sunrise, live panel on Brussels attacks, with Anne Aly and Mark Latham
- NITV The Point with Stan Grant
- ABC NSW Statewide Drive. Interview with Fiona Wyllie