Intern - ASPI Professional Development
The Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI) is an independent, non-partisan think tank that produces expert and timely advice for Australia's strategic and defence leaders. The Institute's work helps to foster strategic expertise in Australia through dialogue, research and its contribution to public debate.
ASPI is committed to cultivating the next generation of strategic policy thinkers and plays an active role in professional development for government clients.
The ASPI-Professional Development (ASPI-PD) Program improves leadership, judgement, decision making, policy development, problem solving and targeted knowledge through practical based, professional development programs.
ASPI-PD programs, including workshops and activities, are highly interactive, designed and tailored to meet participant needs. They take in different work-like contexts where participants grapple with exciting and relevant policy challenges, guided by some of Australia’s most experienced policy practitioners and thinkers on these subjects. ASPI-PD also directly supports government agencies in the development of real-world policies, strategies and plans. Participants come from a variety of backgrounds including serving members of the Australian Defence Force and public servants from within the Department of Defence, the intelligence community, State and Territory Governments and other Federal Government departments and agencies.
The core ASPI-PD team draws on an extensive range of expert fellows and contractors to support the design, development and delivery of programs.
An opportunity exists for a high performing and motivated individual to join ASPI-PD in the role of Intern for 6 months from July-December 2020. The internship presents a mix of opportunities working in the field of national security as well as an ideal learning environment to further your career in strategy, policy, defence or security. This includes the chance to produce online content for The Strategist and the ASPI podcast, as well as having the opportunity to participate in ASPI events, including roundtables.
Key Role Responsibilities
- Assisting with researching and developing workshops, activities, case studies and scenarios for ASPI-PD programs and workshops;
- Facilitating the hosting of ASPI guests;
- Providing administrative assistance to the Director and members of the PD team;
- Working with other ASPI Interns to assist in the set-up and running of some ASPI events; and
- Provide support to the ASPI-PD Coordinators which may include some administrative duties during programs and contributing to basic website updates and social media platforms.
- Applicants are expected to have completed an undergraduate degree.
- You will need to demonstrate good academic results, strong research skills and be enthusiastic, motivated and able to adapt to the work environment quickly.
- The ASPI-PD Internship is open to Australian citizens who have completed their studies within the last two years, all disciplines are welcome.
- ASPI promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and values unique contributions of all people. The Institute strongly encourages women and people from diverse cultural backgrounds including applicants from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds to apply.
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] no later than 31 May 2020, however early applications are encouraged. Applications should include:
- A copy of your academic transcript – you must have completed your undergraduate degree by 1 July 2020
- a letter of no more than one page in length linking your motivation and skills to the above requirements;
- curriculum vitae and names and an ability to supply the contact details of two referees if requested.