Senior Analyst - Indonesia Program
ASPI’s Defence, Strategy and National Security Program are seeking to appoint an Indonesia Senior Analyst to lead ASPI’s new Indonesia Program. This is an exceptional opportunity to work in Australia’s leading defence and national security think tank.
ASPI is an independent, non-partisan think tank that produces expert and timely advice for political, strategic & security leaders in Australia and the Indo-Pacific region. In these uncertain times, ASPI is increasingly being relied upon by government, media and the private sector as a source of informed thinking on matters relating to Australia’s national security.
Key Role Responsibilities
The Indonesia Senior Analyst will lead the Indonesia Program. Reporting to the Director of Defence, Strategy and National Security, the Indonesia Senior Analyst will;
- identify the program’s strategic priorities, and advise ASPI senior staff on the management and delivery of the Indonesia program;
- initiate, coordinate, prepare; contribute to and support the drafting of research papers, policy briefs, online articles for the program;
- manage partnerships with existing corporate and government sponsors, deepen an existing connection to Indonesia’s FPCI think tank, and identify and develop new partnerships and funding opportunities;
- manage and lead ASPI analysts, researchers and research interns conducting research and activities by providing direction, delegating responsibilities; managing staff performance, and supporting their professional development;
- develop and manage national and international dialogues and partnerships on counter terrorism policy issues;
- assist in the planning and conduct of ASPI seminars and other events
- represent ASPI at external forums, in the media and in the broader public debate; and
- report on outcomes and activities for the Indonesia Program as required.
- high quality work and/or research experience, with proven expertise in Indonesian affairs and national security
- appropriate tertiary qualifications in a relevant discipline with strong academic achievement and research experience
- knowledge and experience working with or within Australia’s national security landscape
- demonstrated ability to conduct and produce original research, and contribute collaboratively to other reports for publication
- superior writing, editing and analytical skills
- demonstrated ability to work with limited direction
- the ability to initiate, set priorities and manage different aspects of a research program simultaneously
- ability to communicate in Indonesian is highly desirable.
The successful candidate will be offered a remuneration package at a level aligned with their demonstrated skills and expertise. This is a contract position for 2 years with possible extension. ASPI promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and values unique contributions of all people. The institute strongly encourages people from diverse cultural backgrounds including applicants from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds to apply.
For further information about this position contact ASPI on (02) 6270 5100
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] no later than 1 July 2020 Applications should include:
- a letter of no more than one page in length linking your motivation and skills to the above requirements;
- curriculum vitae and the ability to provide contact details of two professional referees if requested
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.