Events and Communications Manager – 12-month maternity cover
An exceptional career opportunity has arisen to temporarily fill the shoes of ASPI’s Events and Communications Manager. This is a fast -paced and exciting role that demands an outstanding person.
ASPI is an independent, non-partisan think tank that produces expert and timely advice for political, strategic & security leaders in Australia and the Indo-Pacific region. In these uncertain times, ASPI is increasingly being relied upon by government, media and private sector as a source of informed thinking in the national security space.
Key Role Responsibilities
The Events and Communications Manager, along with the events team, play the fundamental role of ensuring ASPI’s research is communicated to its intended audience in the most effective way. Specifically, the Events and Communications Manager will be responsible for:
- Supervising the Events and Communications Officers
- Plan and create ASPI’s annual events calendar with a strategic focus in consultation with the Executive Director, Director - Defence and Strategy Program, Director - National Security Programs and Director – Corporate
- Key point of contact for ASPI Conferences, including management of the planning, scheduling and execution of production elements for ASPI Conferences, working closely with key Conference internal and external stakeholders
- Key point of contact and oversee the coordination (by advising and assisting relevant staff), including diary management and budgets of;
- Domestic and International 1.5 Track Dialogues
- ASPI Research Events
- Publication Launches
- National Security Dinners and other Sponsored Events
- Allocation of organisation of Roundtables to other staff members who have that responsibility
- Responsible for formalising and maintaining ASPI’s relationships with overseas research institutes
- Oversee the preparation of event related media alerts and newsletter content relating to ASPI events for distribution by yourself or relevant staff (depending on distribution format).
- Provide advice and support across ASPI and develop tools and support systems to ensure the efficiency and capacity is established to deliver ASPI’s events agenda.
- Management of event relationships with key stakeholders
- Key point of contact for all media enquiries, both events and research related
- Oversee the management of ASPI social media platforms
- Manage the production of the ASPI podcast
- Events and Communications experience at a management level
- Relevant communications and/or events tertiary degree
- Highly developed organisational skills and meticulous attention to detail
- Effective written and communication skills including the ability to liaise with people at all levels including people in government, academia and private sector whilst representing ASPI in a highly professional manner
- Demonstrated reliability and the ability to execute sound judgement and discretion when dealing with difficult and complex situations. As well as a willingness and ability to occasionally work after hours.
- Demonstrated planning and project coordination expertise.
- Customer service focus with a proven track record in developing relationships with stakeholders.
- High standard of computer competence including experience of Microsoft Office – Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience working in a Government department and familiarity with Australia’s national security landscape
- Experience managing a team
The successful candidate will be offered a remuneration package at a level aligned with their demonstrated skills and expertise. This is a contract position for a 12-month term. ASPI promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and values unique contributions of all people. The institute strongly encourages people from diverse cultural backgrounds including applicants from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds to apply.
For further information about this position contact ASPI on (02) 6270 5100 or visit www.aspi.org.au.
Applications should be submitted to [email protected] no later than 3 November 2019, however early applications are encouraged. Applications should include:
- a letter of no more than one page in length linking your motivation and skills to the above requirements;
- curriculum vitae and names and contact details of two professional referees.