Professional Development Centre - Intern
- We are seeking a high-performing individual to join our Professional Development Centre as an Intern on a fixed term contract
- Engaging and vibrant organisational culture
- Join a team that delivers exceptional results
ASPI is an independent, non-partisan think tank that produces expert and timely advice for strategic, defence and policy leaders and decision makers. ASPI is one of the most authoritative and widely quoted contributors to public discussion of strategic policy issues in the Indo-Pacific region and a recognised Australian voice in international discussion on defence, strategic, national security, cyber, critical technology, climate, and foreign interference issues.
The ASPI-Professional Development (ASPI-PD) Program improves leadership, judgement, decision making, policy development, problem solving and targeted knowledge through practical based, professional development programs.
ASPI-PD programs, including workshops and activities, are highly interactive, designed and tailored to meet participant needs. They take in different work-like contexts where participants grapple with exciting and relevant policy challenges, guided by some of Australia’s most experienced policy practitioners and thinkers on these subjects. ASPI-PD also directly supports government agencies in the development of real-world policies, strategies and plans. Participants come from a variety of backgrounds including serving members of the Australian Defence Force and public servants from within the Department of Defence, the intelligence community, State and Territory Governments and other Federal Government departments and agencies.
The core ASPI-PD team draws on an extensive range of expert fellows and contractors to support the design, development and delivery of programs.
About the Role
An opportunity exists for a high performing and motivated individual to join ASPI-PD in the role of Intern for approximately 12 months from 26 April 2023. The internship presents a mix of opportunities working in the field of national security as well as an ideal learning environment to further your career in strategy, policy, defence or security. This includes the chance to produce online content for The Strategist, as well as having the opportunity to participate in ASPI events, including roundtables.
- Assisting with researching and developing workshops, activities, case studies and scenarios for ASPI-PD programs and workshops;
- Facilitating the hosting of ASPI guests;
- Providing administrative assistance to the Director and members of the PD team;
- Working with other ASPI Interns to assist in the set-up and running of some ASPI events; and
- Provide support to the ASPI-PD Coordinators which may include some administrative duties during programs and contributing to basic website updates and social media platforms.
- Opportunity to may take the lead on PDC programs and activities.
- Applicants are expected to have completed an undergraduate degree.
- You will need to demonstrate good academic results, strong research skills and be enthusiastic, motivated and able to adapt to the work environment quickly.
How to Apply
- Please refer to the position description attached.
- All applications should be submitted to [email protected] including the following documents:
- Cover letter (addressing the selection criteria on the Position Description)
- Resume/CV including two current referee contact details.
- Copy of your academic transcript/s.
ASPI promotes a workplace that actively seeks to include, welcome and values unique contributions of all people. The Institute strongly encourages women and people from diverse cultural backgrounds including applicants from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander backgrounds to apply.
The closing date for applications is Friday, 24 March 2023 – an early application is advised as we reserve the right to close the vacancy early if suitable applications are received.
Position Description can be downloaded here.