Women in Defence and Security Network: Sydney Speed Mentoring Event
Following the success of our inaugural Speed Mentoring event in Canberra in May of this year (more details can be found in this piece from RiotAct), ASPI’s Women in Defence and Security Network is coming to Sydney and is delighted to invite you to attend our ‘Sydney Speed Mentoring’ edition.
ASPI proudly supports and promotes furthering the careers of women in the defence and security community. We do this partly through our Women in Defence and Security Network (WDSN) which aims to enhance the professional skills and abilities of women and increase their professional networks.
Participants will have access to women mentors working across several different fields, including intelligence and national security, cyber security and STEM, academia, international aid and foreign policy, politics, media and journalism, international trade policy, NGO’s and civil society organisations, industry and defence.
We have a number of prominent women confirmed as mentors, including:
- Louise Allen, former director NGO Working Group on WPS in New York
- Dr Stephenie Andal, Project Officer, Innovation and Capability Growth, The Australian Cyber Security Growth Network
- Susan Bennett, Principal, Sibenco Legal & Advisory and Co-founder & Director of Information Governance ANZ (IGANZ)
- Bonnie Bley, Research Fellow, Lowy Institute
- Danielle Cave, Deputy Head, International Cyber Policy Centre, ASPI
- Chief Petty Officer Julianne Cocks, Royal Australian Navy
- Wing Commander Jade Deveney, Gender Advisor–Headquarters Air Command, Royal Australian Air Force
- Chevon Fuller, Regional Counsel, Global Law Affairs Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, and the South Pacific, Boeing Australia
- Dr Gorana Grgic, Lecturer, Department of Government and International Relations and the United States Studies Centre, University of Sydney
- Eleanor Hall, Presenter, The World Today, ABC Radio
- LTCOL Kate Holbeck, Commanding Officer 39 Operational Support Battalion, Australian Army
- Wing Commander Llani Kennealy, Gender Advisor, Chief of Defence Force
- Dr Sheryn Lee, Lecturer, Department of Security Studies and Criminology, Macquarie University
- Professor Megan McKenzie, Professor of Gender and War, University of Sydney
- Catherine McGrath, Journalist and Media Advisor
- Natasha Moore, Partner, Defence and National Security, KPMG
- Alana Newbrook, Director, Risk Consulting for Defence and National Security, KPMG
- CMDR Cassandra Ryan, Mechanical Engineer, Royal Australian Navy
- Leanne Smith, Director Whitlam Institute, University of Western Sydney
- Matilda Steward, Research Associate, Foreign Policy and Defence Program, United States Studies Centre
- Jennifer Stockwell, Principal, Cyber Policy and Government Engagement, Telstra
- The Hon Dr Sharman Stone, Ambassador for Women and Girls, DFAT
- Alexandra Venardos, Director Operations & Legal, COG Systems
- Professor Lise Waldek, Lecturer in Terrorism Studies, Macquarie University Department of Security Studies and Criminology
- LTCOL Deborah Warren-Smith, Gender Advisor, Australian Army
- Johanna Williamson, Senior Investigator - Security Investigations, NBN
Mentoring sessions will be structured, and we will provide sufficient guidelines to all participants prior to the event.
Spread the word amongst your networks! We sincerely hope that you are available to participate in this exciting event, which aims to showcase the work of prominent women in the broad field of defence and national security and learn from their diverse experiences.
This event is generously supported by KPMG Australia.