ASPI Artificial Intelligence and National Security Masterclass
The ASPI Artificial Intelligence masterclass is a one-day intensive event that will give participants a strategic overview of how Artificial Intelligence is impacting and re-shaping the national security landscape. After an opening talk from strategist Peter W Singer from New America, participants will hear from a range of AI and emerging technology specialists from civil society, government, industry and the national security community who will talk on - and debate - a range of topics.
Setting the scene
- Fergus Hanson, Head of International Cyber Policy Centre, Australian Strategic Policy Institute
- Peter W. Singer, Strategist, New America
What are the key trends shaping the future in tech and security?
Technology, citizens and the State
- Mary-Anne Williams, Director of the Magic Lab, University of Technology Sydney
How is AI impacting our lives? How is it being used by governments and companies? How is it impacting national security? How should it be regulated?
AI and emerging tech in China
- Lotus Ruan, Research Fellow, The Citizen Lab, University of Toronto
- Samantha Hoffman, Visiting Academic Fellow, Mercator Institute for China Studies
China's social credit system
- Megha Rajagopalan, China Bureau Chief & Asia Correspondent, BuzzFeed World
Emerging technology for surveillance (including AI, facial recognition) in China and Asia
AI and Warfare
- Toby Walsh, Scientia Professor of Artificial Intelligence, UNSW Sydney
- MAJGEN Mick Ryan AM, Australian Defence College, Australian Army
- Elsa Kania, Adjunct Fellow, Technology and National Security Program, Center for a New American Security and visiting Fulbright fellow, ASPI ICPC
Chinese defence innovation and emerging technologies
- Danielle Cave, Senior Analyst, International Cyber Policy Centre, Australian Strategic Policy Institute
How are AI developments playing out on global battlefields? Is there an AI arms race?
AI - an intelligence &cyber security perspective
- Mike Burgess, Director-General, Australian Signals Directorate
Home Affairs, technology and the future of national security
- Mike Pezzullo, Secretary, Department of Home Affairs
A drinks reception will conclude the event.