Ms Jane Halton AO PSM.
ASPI Council member
Phone(+61 2) 6270-5100
MS S J HALTON, AO Psm
BA (Hons) Psychology, FIML, FIPAA, FAICD, Hon FAHMS, Hon FACHSE, Hon Dr Letters (UNSW)
Ms Halton is a former Secretary of the Australian Department of Finance, responsible for supporting the delivery of the Australian Government budget, the ongoing management of the Australian Government’s non-defence domestic property portfolio, key assets and asset sales plus the financial and performance framework for Australian Government agencies. She has extensive experience in finance, insurance, risk management, information technology, human resources, health and ageing, sport and public policy. She has significant international experience.
In a 33 year career within the public service, including nearly 15 years as Secretary, Ms Halton’s previous roles include Secretary of the Australian Department of Health, Secretary for the Department of Health and Ageing, and Executive Co-ordinator (Deputy Secretary) of the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet.
- Board Vault Systems (from 2017)
- Coalition for Epidemic Innovations (Norway) 2018
- COTA (Council on the Ageing) Australia (from Dec 2017)
- Board ANZ Bank (from 2016).
- Crown Resorts (2017)
- Board Clayton Utz (from 2017) and Ngamuru Advisory (from 2017) a Clayton Utz company
- Board Australian Strategic Policy Institute (from 2017)
- Executive Board of the Institute of Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington (from 2007),
- Advisory Committee 50:50 by 2030 foundation University of Canberra
- Australian Genomics Independent Advisory Board
- Corporate Council European Australia Business Council
Former Directorships/Memberships include
Chairman: OECD Asian Senior Budget Officials Network (from 2014-2016), World Health Organisation Executive Board (2013-2014), OECD’s Health Committee (2007-2013), CO Chair OECD Group on Health (2002-2007), Australian Food Regulation Standing Committee (2002-2014) and National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Council (2002-2008).
President: World Health Assembly (2007).
Executive Board Member: World Health Organisation (2004-2007 and 2012-2015).
Chair WHO Intergovernmental Meeting on Pandemic Influenza Preparedness 2007-2009
Chair WHO Program, Budget and Administration Committee 2005-2007
Member: Melbourne Institute Advisory Board (2007-2015), the National E-Health Transition Authority (2005-2014) and Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (2002-2014).
Former Commissioner: Australian Sports Commission (2008-2010 and 2013-2014), Australian Commission on Safety and Quality in Health Care (2006-2015) and Health Insurance Commission (2002-2005).
Awards and Honours
Order of Australia 2015, Geneva Health Prize 2013, Centenary Medal 2003, Public Service Medal 2002.
Ms Halton was elected to the National Academy of Medicine (United States) in 2016
Adjunct Professor: University of Sydney and University of Canberra.