Deputy Secretary, Estate and Infrastructure Group, Department of Defence; External Contributor
Ms. Celia Perkins is Deputy Secretary, Estate and Infrastructure Group, Department of Defence.
Celia joined the Department of Defence through the Graduate Development Program in 1994, and served in a wide range of roles in international and strategic policy and intelligence.
Throughout her career, Celia has contributed to major defence initiatives including the Defence Reform program, the 2000 Defence White Paper, the establishment of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute, resolving long-standing security vetting backlogs and 2020 Defence Strategic Update.
Celia’s key leadership positions have included:
• Counsellor Defence Policy, Australian Embassy Washington, 2007-2010
• Assistant Secretary Communication and Media 2011
• Assistant Director General Open Source Centre, Office National Assessments 2011-15
• First Assistant Secretary Defence Security and Vetting Services 2015-2019
• First Assistant Secretary Strategic Policy 2019-2021
Celia has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) (University of Canberra, 1993), a Master of Public Policy (Australian National University, 2000). She has completed senior leadership programs including the Oxford Advanced Management and Leadership program (OAMLP) (2017) and the Harvard Kennedy School Senior Leaders in National Security program (2009).