MINISTER'S STATEMENT OF EXPECTATIONS
FOR THE AUSTRALIAN STRATEGIC POLICY INSTITUTE
Australian Strategic Policy Institute
This statement formally outlines my expectations concerning the operations and performance of the Australian Strategic Policy Institute (ASPI).
The government's vision for ASPI is that it will be a high-performing Commonwealth company which provides fresh independent and non-partisan ideas, and promotes discussion among the public service, academia and the wider public on Australia's defence and strategic policy choices.
As Chairman, you are to ensure that ASPI keeps me fully informed of any significant events or issues that may impact on the operations of ASPI. All communication provided to the Minister is to be forwarded, in parallel, to the Department of Defence.
My expectations of the Council Members are that they will ensure that ASPI:
- operates in accordance with relevant legislation (including the Corporations Act 2001, and the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act 1997) and its Constitution and Charter;
- complies with the appropriate government policy, including directions made by the Finance Minister;
- provides fresh ideas on Australia's defence and strategic policy choices, including the analyses of government proposals through rigorous, accurate and well-informed research;
- undertakes activities, including lectures, seminars and discussions, to inform the public and promote discussion on strategic and defence issues;
- promotes contestability in policy advice by being an independent, non-partisan source of information for the government;
- in response to this Statement of Expectations, provides me with its Statement of Intent and make both these Statements publicly available;
- provides me with copies of ASPI's quarterly and annual financial and compliance reports, notifying me of any amendments to ASPI's constitution;
- adopts best practice governance principles and implement risk management strategies as determined by the Commonwealth, as appropriate for the operation of small agencies; and
- identifies and manages all actual and perceived conflicts of interest, promptly advising me of any significant issues as they arise.
Minister for Defence
26 September 2008